tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 24 13:23:41 1998

Re: It takes a Hero

---Terrence Donnelly <[email protected]> wrote:

> At 12:20 PM 7/24/98 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >Only a fool fights in a burning house, but it takes a hero to go
after
> >the fool.
> >
> >By rewording to make it work I came up with:
> >
> >meQtaHbogh  qachDaq  Suv  qoH  neH  'ach   toDmeH qoH  tlha'  Sub'e'
> >
> >Only a fool fights in a burning house, but only a hero follows in
> >order to save him
> >
> >If any one can think of a better way of doing it I need to reply in
> >the next 2 hours so email me direct   [email protected]  as I only get
> >the digest version of the list.
> >
> >Generally I would also like to know if I've made any blunders
> >

> Not bad; just a few minor points.  I would place /qoH/ before
/toDmeH/;
> in Klingon, we generally like to get the important words out first.
Second,
> I don't think I'd use the /-'e'/ on /Sub/.  It changes the emphasis:
"As
> for the hero, s/he follows..." (as if you are discussing the actions
of several
> different persons).  Finally, /tlha'/ seems to me to be reserved for
following
> after someone; the hero isn't really following the lead of the fool,
but going
> in later.  I'd use something more general. With these changes:
>
> meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH 'ach qoH toDmeH vang Sub.
>
> Another possibility:
>
> meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH 'ach qoH toD Sub neH.
>
> I like this version for its pithiness and for the way it parallels
the first
> phrase.
>
> -- ter'eS

Thanks everyone for such a quick reply. In reference to all I really
did mean to have a {neH} at the end I don't know why I missed that off
when I typed the message in.
As for this message I wondered I agree about the {qoH} before the
{toDmeH} although I'm not sure about the use of {tlha'} I'll bow to
your experience there.

> meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH 'ach qoH toD Sub neH.

Your last suggestion is a moment of sheer inspiration. Thank you! It
says it all and keeps it short.

Thanks again unfortunatly I'm off on leave tommorrow so I'll be
off-line for nine days (the list will be even quieter.

qe'San be'rawn
==