tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 24 13:53:04 1998

Re: It takes a Hero

---Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

> : >The help I need is for a friend who is promoted because she
succeeded in
> : >finishing a study..she is a fire brigade officer  now and we want
to give
> : >her a T-shirt with the text as follows(and than in tlhIngan of
course...)
> : >  Only a fool fights in a burning house, but it takes a hero to
go after
> : >  the fool.
> : >The first part of the sentence is from the book "The Klingon
Way", so
> : >that's not the problem…..but the last part.
> :
> : Only a fool fights in a burning house, but it takes a hero to go
after
> : the fool.
> : By rewording to make it work I came up with:
> :    meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH 'ach toDmeH qoH tlha' Sub'e'
> : Only a fool fights in a burning house, but only a hero follows in
> : order to save him
> :
> : Generally I would also like to know if I've made any blunders
>
> I would suggest {'el} "enter" instead of {tlha'} "follow":
>
> meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH 'ach toDmeH 'el Sub'e'.
> "Only a fool fights in a burning house, but it's a hero who goes in
after him".

> or...
>
> meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH 'ach toDmeH qach 'el Sub'e'.
> "Only a fool fights in a burning house, but it's a hero who goes in
the
> house after him".
>
> I think you can drop the second {neH} -- it's a bit much combined with
> -{'e'}, which emphasises {Sub} enough -- as well as the second
{qoH}.  But
> if you really want to leave them in:
>
> meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH 'ach qoH toDmeH [qach] 'el Sub neH.
>
> Note that in the second clause, {qoH} is the direct object of
{toDmeH} and
> must precede the verb.
>
> Also, you can use {Subna'} "a real hero" to give it extra emphasis.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> Voragh                          "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub
judice
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons    lis est."        - Horace, Ars
Poetica

Sorry to be a turncoat ter'es but I'll think after this message as I
do like {'el} so I'm going to settle for:

meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH 'ach qoH toDmeH qach 'el Sub neH

I'm keeping the neH as I think that it's important to stress that
we're only talking about a 'hero' (not necessarily 'a real hero') and
not what would be another fool i.e. someone not in the fire service.

thanks again

qe'San
==