tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 20 13:54:41 1998

Re: KLBC: the teacher is not here

[email protected] wrote:

> While waiting for my driver's ed teacher to come out of the office
today, I
> wrote the following phrase:
>
> naDev ghojwI' ghaHbe'

This says "Here, s/he is not the student."

Compare to /tlhIngan maH/ "we are Klingons"

thus:
ghojwI' ghaH - s/he is a student

add /naDev/ for location and /-be'/ for negation and you have what you
wrote.

> I was meaning to say "the teacher is not here".  Did I say this
> correctly?

To say "X is <at location>" look at the example in section 6.3.
I think the example is: pa'Daq ghaHtaH la''a''e'  "The Cmdr is in her
quarters."

naDev ghaHtaH - s/he is here.
naDev ghaHtaH ghojmoHwI''e' - the teacher is here.
naDev ghaHbe'taH ghojmoHwI''e' - the teacher is not here.

You could also say: Dach ghojmoHwI'.

> Likewise, last Monday, while waiting for the instructor to finish
signing up
> newbies, I wrote these phrases: (corrections welcome {{:-)
>
> Qo'noSDaq juppu' vIghaj 'e' Sov : It is known that I have friends on
Qo'noS

For "it is known" use /net Sov/.  See the end of section 6.2.5 to read
about /net/.

> targhwIj DaHoH! : You killed my targh!
maj.

> DaH choHoH! : I will kill you now.
That's actually "Now you will kill me."  Recheck that prefix table!

> batlh ghajbe' HeghwI'lIj : Your death has no honor (I'm not really
sure of the
> grammer 	on that one.)

Ugh. Style.  Does death "have" something?  /HeghwI'/ is "thing/one
that dies" not "death."  The word for death is simply /Hegh/.
Sidestep all this and say simply /batlh bIHeghbe'/ "You do not die
with honour."  In Klingon you usually do best using verbs not nouns.

> qoH SoHbej! : You are certainly a fool.

maj.

Good ones, and good for you for practicing Klingon at odd moments.
Just don't get distracted by Klingon when you should be watching the
road!
==
Qov - Beginners' Grammarian