tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 20 15:47:56 1998

Re: KLBC: the teacher is not here

At 02:03 PM 7/20/98 -0700, you wrote:
: [email protected] wrote:
: > batlh ghajbe' HeghwI'lIj : Your death has no honor
: > (I'm not really sure of the grammer on that one.)
:
: Ugh. Style.  Does death "have" something?  /HeghwI'/ is "thing/one
: that dies" not "death."  The word for death is simply /Hegh/.
: Sidestep all this and say simply /batlh bIHeghbe'/ "You do not die
: with honour."  In Klingon you usually do best using verbs not nouns.
:
: Qov - Beginners' Grammarian

Qov's suggestion is best and is supported by canon:

   batlh maHegh
   [We die honorably.] (CK, untranslated battle sequence)

   Hoch DaSopbe'chugh batlh bIHeghbe'.
   Eat everything or you will die without honor. PK

   batlh bIHeghjaj
   May you die well. TKW

   batlh Heghlu'chugh noDnISbe' vay'
   An honorable death requires no vengeance. TKW

   batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv.  pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'
   Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the Black Fleet where
    we battle forever. (Anthem)

... but there is a Klingon way to do it with the noun if you really want to
and avoid the problem of death "having" something: {quvHa' HeghlIj} "Your
death is dishonored (or dishonorable)" or even better {DuquvHa' HeghlIj}
"Your death dishonors you".

Voragh

Back to archive top level