tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 17 11:34:41 1998

Re: Transcribing movie soundtracks

HovqIj wrote:

: ja' Voragh:
: >(War council on Kronos One after Gorkon's assassination)

I played this scene a few times last night with HovqIj's suggestions in
hand.  BTW, if someone else wants to help, this scene is 0:50:45 into the
movie, not counting commercials (I have the "Special Home Video Version").
It's also helpful to look at the glossary in the TKD Addendum which contains
new vocabulary from ST6 (as well as the first year of TNG) for ideas as you
listen.

: >Kerla:  DIHIvlaHtaHvIS DaH DIHIvnIS!
: >         (Attack them now, while we still can!)
: >Khmarr: DIHIvbej qo'chajDaq toy'wI''a' DImoj.   (sic)
: >         (Attack or be slaves in their world.)
:
: Maybe {DIHIvbe'chugh}???

Good idea, that's probably what the line was in the script.  The actor's
pronunciation was fairly clear, even if his memory wasn't.  He says /deeheev
bej ko chajdak/ which could have been {DIHIvbe'ch[ugh]} if he forgot a
syllable.  Oddly enough, he also says /toyweeTA'/ clearly for {toy'wI''a'}
"slave", a word invented for this movie (it's in the Addendum).

: >Grokh:  QaplaH <pla'> pe'vIl <Qapla' ghobe' laH'a'>            (??)
: >        (We can take whole by force, what they propose to divide.)
:
: This one's very hard. I got {qo' wIHIvlaH pe'vIl tlhap'egh.... <not
: understandable>}(???)

This actor is clearly putting a lot of feeling into his lines.  It's a pity
we can barely understand a word he says.  He also shows up later on Chang's
BoP Dakronh during the fight with the Enterprise.  On watching this a few
times, I now think the first word is {Qo'!} "No! I disagree!", an
exclamation listed in the Addendum.  Remember, the three generals are
disagreeing with Azetbur's decision to continue negotiations with the
Federation at a neutral site.  In fact, they've just heard her agree to this
with the Federation president over subspace.

: >:                                      I still have no clue
: >: what the officer was saying when he spread out the map (or
: >: whatever paper it was) on the desk in ST6. It sounded like
: >: something waWAwawa...
: >:
: >: charghwI'

To me it all sounded like /ka plapla pe-veel pla kapla go-bey HaH!/.  If
this is the actor charghwI' is referring to, the only clear word in this is
{pe'vIl} "by force", which is another word invented for this movie listed in
the Addendum.  If he said the words in the wrong order, this might be
*{DIHIvlaH pe'vIl} for {pe'vIl DIHIvlaH} "We can attack them by force".  No
matter how many times I played the tape, I couldn't hear {wav} "divide" as I
expected.  /go-bey/ might be {tlhob} "request, ask, plead" -- "propose" in
the subtitle -- which is another word from the Addendum.  Now with your
suggestions, this all becomes something like:

  Grokh:  Qo'! pe'vIl DIHIvlaH, <kapla> tlhob <be --- HaH>          (??)

Well, at least it's a *little* better than I started with.

: >Azetbur:  ghu'maj Dayajbe'law', Sa'.
: >          (not subtitled)
: >          {You don't seem to grasp our situation, General.}      (novel)
: >Azetbur:  notlh veS 'a toH manotlhchoH <chenmoH>                    (??)
: >          (War is obsolete, General...as we are in danger of becoming.)
: >          {War is...obsolete. As we are in danger of becoming.}  (novel)
:
: Maybe {tugh manotlhchoH je maH}???

That's it!  I think you're right.  The last bit sounded like /je-mo/, but
final {H} is often not pronounced, as is final /h/ in English:  oh, ah, eh.

  Azetbur:  notlh veS... 'a tugh manotlhchoH je maH.

Thanks for your suggestions.  It always helps to have another set of ears
(not to mention a different set of audio speakers) listen to these
problematic lines.  With enough time, we just might be able to reconstruct them.

Voragh                          "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons    lis est."        - Horace, Ars Poetica

Back to archive top level