tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 16 14:38:51 1998

Re: KLBC Sentence Structure Question

On Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 01:24:34PM -0700, Katie Moncelsi wrote:
> I'm trying to translate a short story I wrote into Klingon. I have a
> question about sentence structure. If you had a sentence like:
> I like this, but not that.
> In Klingon would the whole sentence be backwords.
> or would it be like this,
> This like I, but that not.

Please forgive me for interrupting, but I thought that I could make an
attempt since this appears to be at my level.

My attempt is
Dochvam vIparHa' 'ach Dochvetlh vIparHa'be'.

The literal translation is
This I like but that I don't like.

So the word order is not quite backwards. What may be confusing you, and
confused me at first is that the subject and object appear the other way
round one would expect them to in English.

Since I'm only a beginner take what I've said cum grano salis.  I just
thought that I too could learn from this.

Matt.
--
Matthew Peperell <[email protected]>
The abuse of power is nothing compared to the power of abuse!

Back to archive top level