tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 16 14:08:37 1998

Re: KLBC - pabwIj vIlughmoH 'ej mu'tlheghmey chu' vIqon

---"William H. Martin"  wrote:

> Maybe you dunno. I know. I'm deeply and purely sure of myself on
> this one. We don't merely disagree. You are wrong, and if you
> weren't BG, I'd let that stand. It is not so important that one
> Klingonist is wrong about fundamental Klingon grammar. But you
> have followers. You have EARNED followers. You DESERVE
> followers. But that also implies you have a responsibility to
> them to set straight that which you accidentally screwed up, and
> if there are beginners out there who think you are right on
> this, you do them a great disservice to sustain that dillusion.
>
> I respect you a lot. Your vocabulary makes mine laughable. You
> look better in a uniform than I do. You are a more sparkling
> conversationalist at qep'a' than I am.
>
> But you are dead wrong about pronouns. [charghwI' polishes his
> forehead in preparation for ... Well, Klingons give MEANING to
> the term tête-a-tête.]

Well, if he's going to flatter my mind, my social skills AND my figure
as well as polish his head, (talk about a bochmoHwI' eh?) I guess I'd
better give in.

I screwed up. Speaking as the presiding Beginners' Grammarian, I
hereby command all good Klingonists not to use noun suffixes,
including /-'e'/, on any pronoun that is serving as the verb to be.  I
further pledge not to do it myself unless cloistered in a dark room
with no recording nor transmission equipment.

tlhIngan jIHbe' jIH'e'.

toH, charghwI' ... <jIH'e'> jIjatlh 'e' DaQoy DaneH'a'?  ;-)

Sey'choHtaHvIS quppu' nubejlaw' chu'wI'pu' 'ej ja'egh chaH <qep'a'Daq,
qaS nuq, jay'?>

==
Qov - Beginners' Grammarian