tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 16 07:52:11 1998

Re: Fwd: Re: QoghIj qaD

ghItlh charghwI':

>The problem is not with the word {nuq}. It is with the meaning
>of having a question acting as the object of {neH}, or any other
>verb. Okrand said it doesn't work and I agree with him.

The argument here is that perhaps <neH> is a special case. Perhaps it acts
with the verb. Perhaps it doesn't - I am willing to forget it. But how do we
say it? The QAO seemed so concise...

What do you need to eat? nuq DaSopnIS

What are you willing to eat? nuq DaSopqang

What do you want to eat? Now I guess we have to recast. Hmmm... <vay' DaSop
DaneHchugh vaj HIja'!> Still doesn't make the answer the thing the addressee
wants to eat... grrrrrrrrr...

>I honestly believe you are mistranslating gibberish into a
>sensible English sentence because that which you wish to say is
>simple to say in English, even though it violates Klingon
>grammer to do so.

I just want to re-state - The context of my use of <nuq vIje' vIneH> was
like a quiz show question. (*Britian*ngan jIHbe' 'ej jI*yID*be'.) (Remember,
folks, ** means don't bother lookin' it up.) But at first glance (and indeed
at numerous subsequent glances) it looked fine.  I also challenged listers
to come up with alternatives. I have seen none. Surely there is some way to
ask another Klingon what they want to eat?

Qermaq

Back to archive top level