tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 16 06:41:31 1998

Fwd: Re: QoghIj qaD

>>...Yes, it's a question-as-object, but
>> it's one that follows the rules for the use of interrogatives.

But ALL of them do. That doesn't fix what's broken.

>>Well, it does so no more than any other QAO. The real object
>>once again is not the question, but the answer to the question.

>Look again, please.  This is not a "I know what I bought" kind of
>relative pronoun meaning.  This is a real question.  This is the
>statement "I want to buy something" with the word "something"
>crossed out and the word "what" written in in crayon.  The noun
>is replaced with a noun-like question word in order to ask what
>I want to buy.

{vay' vIje' vIneH} "I want that I buy something."

{nuq vIje' vIneH} "I want that what do I buy?"

Gibberish. Even charitably stated in your style of English
question, "I want that I buy what?" is rather strange.

>>I still think the object of the second verb is the answer to the
>>question and not the question itself, and I still think that
>>ignores the limits of SAO. I don't think it works.

>I don't see it that way at all.  The object of {neH} is the whole
>sentence {nuq vIje'}.

How can you want a question?

>If I said {vay' vIje' vIneH} you would have
>no problem with it, right?

Right.

>The object of the second verb is not
>the word {vay'}, it's the first sentence itself.  Now turn it into
>a question by replacing one of the nouns with {nuq}.  pItlh!

The problem is not with the word {nuq}. It is with the meaning
of having a question acting as the object of {neH}, or any other
verb. Okrand said it doesn't work and I agree with him.

>No
pesky relative pronouns hiding here, no sir.  All nice and normal
>according to TKD 6.4, with the question word {nuq} fitting into the
>sentence in the position that would be occupied by the answer.

I honestly believe you are mistranslating gibberish into a
sensible English sentence because that which you wish to say is
simple to say in English, even though it violates Klingon
grammer to do so.

{nuq} is not just a noun. It changes the function of a sentence,
making it unsuitable for SAO.

-- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level