tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 14 20:43:49 1998

Re: nuqneH as greeting

From: Anthony Appleyard <[email protected]>

>  ghItlh Steven Boozer <[email protected]>:-
>"It is not infrequent to hear nonnative speakers of Klingon use nuqneH
"what
>do you want?" as if it meant "hello" or the like in exchanges such as:
>            Speaker #1: nuqneH    (see (1))
>            Speaker #2: nuqneH    (see (2))
>No one steeped in Klingon culture would do this, however (except in some
sort
>of a joking context, perhaps). To begin a conversation, just start! ...
>
>  (1) But people can't simply `just start'. Greetings aren't simply for
>politeness. I know by too much experience that #1 needs to say <some> sort
of
>call-attention word to get #2's attention, else #2 loses much of the start
of
>what the speaker said. Else #1 would get sick of being asked to repeat what
he
>said. This can get wearisome: HochHom vIjatlhpu'bogh vIjatlhqa' 'e' neHtaH
>SoSwI' 'e' rur.

Please, please, PLEASE stop using {-'e'} with {neH}, and stop putting aspect
suffixes on the second sentence!  You keep doing this, and it's driving me
crazy!  :)

Sure, they can just start.  Let's take an example:

***
tach 'ej tlhIngan.  HIvje'mey Say'moHtaH chom.  chom 'emDaq ba' tlhIngan,
vaj tlhIngan leghbe' chom.

jatlh tlhIngan <pubtaHbogh ghargh HIq vItlhutlh!>

tlhIngan leghmeH tlhe' chom.  jang <cha' DarSeq>.
***

Or how about another example:

***
vaS'a'Daq ghomchuq cha' be' 'e' lunab.  pawDI' be' wa'DIch, 'eq 'e' tu'.
be' cha'DIch loSchoH.  loStaHvIS, De'wI'HomDaj chu'; bom qonlI'bogh HaD.

tugh paw be' cha'DIch.  jupDaj legh, vaj chol.  ghel be' cha'DIch <bomlIj
Daqonchu'ta''a', chaj?>

bom buSchu'mo' be' wa'DIch, jupDaj Qoybe'.

jach be' cha'DIch <qIm!  bomlIj Daqonchu'ta''a'?>
***

>  (2) #1 knows what he was going to ask or tell #2 about. #2 does not know
at
>the start. So in reply #2 must ask {nuqneH?}, in its literal meaning, to
tell
>#1 that he is listening.

If it is being literal, then {nuq DaneH} is appropriate.  {nuqneH} is only a
greeting, and only to be used when you're waiting for someone to start
speaking.  More than just "whaddyawant?" it means "Get on with it!"

SuStel
Stardate 98534.7

Back to archive top level