tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 14 20:43:27 1998

Re: QoghIj qaD

From: Robyn Stewart <[email protected]>

>---Alan Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>> It will take some more explanation than the near-hearsay of Okrand's
>> statement that a "question" (not my quotes, but I'm not sure if they
>> are Okrand's either) cannot be used as an object before I will state
>> that {nuqDaq maba' DaneH?} is ungrammatical.
>
>I don't think it's ungramatical, but that's because I see it as {maba'
>DaneH} with a {nuqDaq} in its proper position to make the statement
>into a question.

Duh.  What took me a whole post to explain, took you one sentence.
mu'tlheghmeywIj vInapnISmoH!

>I guess the question is, can we group (nuq (vIje' vIneH)) instead of
>((nuq vIje') vIneH)?  I don't think so.

Good way to look at it.  (nuq (vIje' vIneH)) would be "what (I want to buy
it)," which certainly doesn't work.  Looks like it might be a double object
or something (and one of them a question word, no less, another gray area in
the grammar).  ((nuq vIje') vIneH) is most definitely our old friend Mr.
Question as Object.

SuStel
Stardate 98534.6

Back to archive top level