tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 09 14:52:07 1998

Re: KLBC: yej

: mulughmoH pagh...
: >lab Edy:
: >> qaStaHvIS ra'ghomquv ghom.
: >
: >This was tough to figure out. I am glad you included a translation. I think
: >your first sentence is trying to say the High Command is meeting, and the
: >translation indicates it is a reunion. For the reunion idea, we have a
: >perfect tool: the suffix <-qa'>. The rest of the sentence needs some
: >restructuring:
: >  <ghomqa'lI' ra'ghomquv> - "The High Command is meeting again"
:
:     I'm not sure if the suffix {-qa'} in {ghomqa'lI'} represents
: the real idea. In TKD 37 "-qa', this suffix implies that an action
: had been taking place, then it stopped, and then began again."
: The "re"union don't mean that the union tookke place, stopped and
: restart.  Is there a canon exemple of it's use?
:
: Edy

Here are all the examples of {-qa'} I have:

"Suffixes of this type indicate that the action described by the verb
involves a change of some kind from the state of affairs that existed before
the action took place... Using this suffix implies that an action had been
taking place, then it stopped, and then it began again. {vInejqa'} 'I am
resuming the search, I am searching for him/her again'." (TKD p.37)

naDqa'ghach
re-commendation (n.) TKD

yIvumqa'!
Back to work! CK

yIHaDqa'!
Start studying again! CK

<...> yI<chu'>qa'!
(???) ST3
[I couldn't catch the verb, but {yI...qa'} were clear.  Kruge's bridge
crewman pushes a button and the lights come back on.]

HIvqa' veqlargh!
The Fek'lhr strikes again! PK

tlham chach chu'qa'
Restoring auxiliary gravity. [Clipped?] ST6

yIjatlhqa'!
Please say it again. KCD (.wav file)

qa'meH vIttlhegh
replacement proverb (n.)
["This is the only way to say 'replacement proverb' currently, but in the
past, the common term was the lengthier {quvqa'meH vIttlhegh}, literally,
`proverb for (the purpose of) being honored again.' The word {qa'meH},
clearly a shortened form of {quvqa'meH}, was originally used only in the
construction of {qa'meH vIttlhegh}, but, though historically two verb
suffixes, it has become accepted as a noun in its own right, meaning
replacement in the sense of something that takes over for or is used instead
of something that is gone or that has been lost." (MO, HQ 5.1)]

Su'lop Suqqa'
reacquire {Su'lop} KGT

naDev bIQumqa' 'e' vItul.
(MO to SuStel on the MSN Expert Forum 11/96)

Voragh                          "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons    lis est."        - Horace, Ars Poetica

Back to archive top level