tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 04 08:45:16 1998

Re: KLBC - pach puqloD

>From: Alan Anderson <[email protected]>
>>Qov qech vIparHa' jIH.  mu' ghItlhlu'meH, qech qonnISlu'.
>>
>>I've got to agree with Qov here.  It's the *idea* that's being recorded in
>>words here.  {qonchu'} says to me that the idea was rendered accurately.
>
>But I believe we're told that {qon} is used when composing songs, not every
>time one might use the word "compose" in English.  We know nothing
>particular about how Klingons think of "composing," say, e-mail.  And I
>agreed that {qon} would be appropriate if the usage were about a song.

Quibbling about what might or might not fit "compose" is irrelevant. I'm
using the word in its strict sense:  record.  If I have an idea that I want
to put into words, I think {qon} works to describe the process of getting
the idea out of my head and onto the paper, or screen, or whatever.

My dictionary defines "record" thus:
"To set down for preservation in writing or other permanent form."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level