tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 02 08:18:14 1998

Re: KLBC: rep

Qov wrote:

: ---Quvar muHwI' wrote:
: > 1) How do I ask the time in Klingon?
:
: I'm afraid we don't know how to ask the time.  On the tape Power
: Klingon Okrand discusses how to TELL the time, but not how to ask it.
: I even consulted Voragh, Canon Master to check if it was there and I
: had forgotten.  He provided:
:
: |     six hundred hours [i.e. 0600]
: |       javvatlh rep
: |     noon (twelve hundred hours)
: |       cha'maH wa'vatlh rep (sic!)
: |       [wa'maH cha'vatlh rep (correct)]
: |     midnight (zero hours)
: |       pagh rep
: |     seven P.M. (nineteen hundred hours)
: |       wa'maH Hutvatlh rep
: |
: |     Check out time is five A.M.
: |       vagh rep bImejnIS

loQ mISlaw' Qov.  Before anyone else responds, this is from Conversational
Klingon.

: We (Voragh and I and no doubt others) suspect the correct question
: involves {'ar} "how many?" Experience with other languages tells me
: it's not something I can guess, though.

Notice that in the last example, {vagh rep} is simply used as a time stamp.
We still don't know how Klingons usually say in a complete sentence - if
there even is one - "The time is five a.m."  In the meantime, you can always
just reply {vagh rep}.  I agree with our BG and wouldn't at all be surprised
to learn these are idioms.

If Marc Okrand attends qep'a' vaghDIch again this year, perhaps the other
attendees could keep asking him the time in Klingon or speculate aloud on
how to ask the time.  Maybe he'll be inspired to come up with something.  Of
course, he may just jab you with his {nuQ naQ}!

- Voragh
  Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level