tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 01 10:05:19 1998

Re: Emperor

: [email protected] wrote:
: >: Is there a difference between using voDleH and ta' for emperor?  Is it
: >: something archaic or something about context?
:
: jatlh Voragh:
: >We don't know.  Okrand didn't discuss the difference between the two in
: >"Klingon For the Galactic Traveller".  Neither word has been used by itself
: >in context, but both have been used as elements of noun-noun phrases:
: [...]
: >Thus, {pa' 'elpu' qeylIS ta'} "Emperor Kahless has entered the room" vs.
: >{DaH voDleH'e' vIlegh vIneH} "I want to see the *emperor* now!"
: >
: >Maltz, of course, could prove me wrong at any time.
:
: Maybe it is the same difference between {SuvwI'} and {vaj}?
:
: muHwI'

Perhaps a specific emperor vs. kingship/emperorship in general.  Though
again, which is which? {ta'} seems a tad more general in {ta' Hol} & {ta'
tlhIngan Hol}, with {voDleH Ha'DIbaH} being a historical reference to a
particular Emperor's taste in food.  Hard to tell with so little data.

Voragh

Back to archive top level