tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 31 17:37:02 1998

Re: 'Iv

At 03:06 98-01-28 -0800, qelayn wrote:

}I noticed while listening to my 'Conversational Klingon' tape that Mr.
}Okrand uses a phrase:
}
}SoH 'Iv    Who are you?
}
}Where as if you know who the person is and are clarifying you would use:
}
}Qov SoH    You are Qov
}
}If the question word ('Iv, nuq) goes in place of the unknown answer why
}was the order messed up by Mr. Orkrand?
}Is there some rule I am missing or is it free range.  I always use *'Iv
}SoH*

I understand your reasoning, and the {SoH 'Iv} surprised us, too.  It seems
that you can do that in Klingon.  I also tend to use {'Iv SoH} but consider
this:

meHDaq ghuH chu'lu'pu' - "An alarm has been activated on the bridge."

(The bridge officer calls the security chief on his communicator):
rav cha'Daq loDHey tu'lu' - "There's some man on deck two!"

(The sec answers):
ghaH jIH -- "I am he"

(The officer hasn't heard properly):
ghaH 'Iv?  -- "Who is he?"

ghaH jIH.  loDHeylI' jIH - "I am he.  I am your apparent man."

So you can get the {SoH 'Iv} word order from substitution.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level