tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 27 10:11:33 1998

Re: KLBC Poetry (the child is happy)

According to Qov:

> At 15:43 98-01-25 -0800, edy wrote:
> } Qov wrinkled her nose:

chonajmoH...

> :)
>
> }>But now you have to translate ...
> }>A stone in the way is preferable to a stone in my shoe.
>
> nagh Daq vIqeltaHvIS He qaq law' waqwIj qaq puS
> When I consider the site of a stone, the road is better than my shoe.

majQa'! Dunqu'! Qu' Qatlh Data'ta'!

> If I were just saying it without time to think about it, I'd likely have
> said {?HeDaq nagh qaq law' waqwIjDaq nagh qaq puS} but I'm not sure I can do
> that.

jISovchu'be' 'ach Qapbej <nagh Daq vIqeltaHvIS...>. chaq loQ
nIv <nagh Daq vIqelDI'...>.

Your translation cuts to the real meaning. You are not
comparing two rocks. You are comparing two locations for a
rock. Brilliant!

> Qov     [email protected]
> Beginners' Grammarian

charghwI'