tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 26 18:53:22 1998

Re: KLBC Poetry (the child is happy)

At 15:43 98-01-25 -0800, edy wrote:
} Qov wrinkled her nose:

:)

}>But now you have to translate ...
}>A stone in the way is preferable to a stone in my shoe.
}
}
}    wa' bach vIghaj'a' neH (?)  (Have I only 1 shot?)

{wa' bach neH} - "only one shot"  Placed after the verb {neH} trivializes
the action of the verb, instead of restricting the quantity.

vutpa' neH vIghoS - "I'm going to the kitchen only"  (nowhere else, just the
kitchen)
vutpa' vIghoS neH - "I'm just going to the kitchen" (Don't get excited, I'm
not doing anything vital.)

}    yItlhap  (here it is)
}
}    HeDaq naghvam vImaS law' waqwIjDaq naghvetlh vImaS puS

This isn't quite the form of an {X Q law' Y Q puS}. You need a verb of state
or quality in the Q position.  And I didn't think this all the way through
before I threw it back at you. "A stone in the road" in this context is the
Cat in the Hat problem.  To be most certain of this one, I'd use:

nagh Daq vIqeltaHvIS He qaq law' waqwIj qaq puS
When I consider the site of a stone, the road is better than my shoe.

If I were just saying it without time to think about it, I'd likely have
said {?HeDaq nagh qaq law' waqwIjDaq nagh qaq puS} but I'm not sure I can do
that.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level