tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 27 05:09:06 1998

Re: KLBC: nuq and 'Iv

>Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 00:33:08 -0800 (PST)
>From: Qov <[email protected]>
>
>At 13:52 98-01-22 -0800, edy wrote:
>
>>Sometimes nuq and 'Iv behave as substantives, right?
>
>> The classic exemple is nuqDaq,
>> but sometimes I see:
>> pongDaj nuqpu', HoD 'Ivqang (Capt Krankor - The Gramarian Desk)
>
>Holy mother of Kahless.  WHAT is Krankor doing?  If that is supposed
>to be:  "What had been her name?"  and "Who is willing to be the
>captain?" then I hope Krankor has a good excuse for it. It isn't against the
>rules per se, but it is provocative. I would call
>{pongDaq nuqpu'} clipped and prefer {nuq 'oHpu' pongDaj'e'} or
>{pongDaj ngo' HIja'}

Yeah, I find these weird myself.  Which was probably Krankor's point: that
weird or not, these chuvmey work (for him) as pronouns and thus as
semi-verbs.

>> what? nuqmo' yaS DaHoHqang - you are willing
>> to kill the oficer because what?
>
>Generally better said in English or Klingon with why/qatlh.

I've long wondered about {nuqmo'} as a synonym for {qatlh}.  Me, I like it;
not as a wholesale replacement, but perhaps as a slightly
long-winded/poetic variant.

>> 'IvvaD Data'pu' - You did it for who?
>> 'Ivvo' DajatlhtaH - You are talking about who?
>
>Same comment as before: {-vo'} is not appropriate to denote the topic of a
>conversation.  {'Ivvo' De'vam DaSuq?}  "From whom did you get this information?

Yes, but {'IvvaD} is quite fine.

>> 'Ivmo' yaS DaHoHqang - you are willing to kill the oficer because of
>> whom?
>
>I see these as acceptable.  The question word goes where the answer would
>go.  I know some other BGs don't like my liberal interpretation of the
>question words as nouns to be used anywhere in the sentence.  I was
>castigated for advocating {'Iv targh} for "whose targ."  Listen to what they
>have to say and then decide for yourself.

*blink*.  Did I castigate you?  {'Iv targh} for "whose targh" sounds
absolutely fine to me (and how else to do it?)  It might have been me, for
all I know, but until I see what I was thinking then I'm puzzled.

~mark

Back to archive top level