tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 25 08:21:27 1998

Re: KLBC pong (v)

ghItlh Qov:

>I follow your logic, and I'm trying to decide if "give me chocolate" and
>"call me Ishmael" have the same grammar. I'll say that they do, barring
>contradiction from one of the real linguists on this group. (I'm not a real
>linguist, I just play one on the internet).

Holtejqoq neH jIH je. 'ach jIyay', Qov. bImISba'. motlhHa' ghu'vam!

Give me chocolate = Give chocolate to me
Cry me a river = Cry a river for me
Show us your Underalls = Show your Underalls for us
Verb - prepositional pronoun - object = Verb - object - preposition +
pronoun

'ach 'ach 'ach...

Call me Ishmael =/= Call Ishmael for me

Here (and not being sanctioned by the Linguist's Guild, I'm out on a
limb...) "call me" (in the sense of "label me") is V+O. "Ishmael" is the
label. I'm not sure of the precise grammatical construction, but this
sentence isn't equivalent to the others.

I like <chay' qapong>. One would answer with their name, if they are honest.
Again, the object of <pong> is 1st person singular, not the name.

I'd love to see real honest-to-goodness-or-badness canon on <pong> used as a
verb. Is there any?

Qermaq

Back to archive top level