tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 24 23:16:06 1998

Re: KLBC Nature Phenomenon

At 20:06 98-01-24 -0800, qe'San wrote:

}On:         Mon, 19 Jan 1998 09:45:05 -0200
}Eduardo Fonseca  wrote....
}
}>>    I wonder how we use the verbs which indicates the
}>>nature phenomenon. I mean, we say: It's raining or
}>>it's snowing, it's storming. But how can we say it
}>>in klingon? Who is the subject and object?
}
}Qov replied.......
}
}>Short answer:
}>
}>We don't know.
}>
}>Medium answer:
}>
}>  I currently prefer the indefinite subject.  There is no clear subject
}>or object.
}>SISlu' - it's raining
}>peDlu' - it's snowing
}
}>The long answer:
}>Is the thread of arguments and conflicting advice that >this post
}will engender.
}
}
}Now for me:
}
}I've already read one or two but not wanting to disapoint Qov here's
}what my brain chewed around for a while and spat out.....
}
}Excuse me for jumping in at the deepend here but surely the 'subject'
}of  - rain (v) - is the weather (or possibly the atmosphere/sky).  The
}'object' would then be the noun which is rained upon eg the house, the
}ground, the hill, the region and so on. Maybe even 'the
}event/celebration'.  I would imagine that as a rule the O & S would
}remain unspecified especially the subject.
}This would then lead to statements like
}
}'It rained on our region Yesterday'   -  wa'Hu' SepmajDaq  SISpu'

Actually, this says that it had rained on our region yesterday, implying
that the rain occured before yesterday.  The aspect suffixes indicate action
completed or in progress at the time the setence is set, not the time the
sentence is spoken.

If the subject of the verb rain is the sky, then:

{wa'Hu' SepmajDaq SIS} would mean "It rained on our region yesterday."

}I assumed that the prefix would be it/it (it rained on it).
}
}Question: If I wanted to imply that it rained only yesterday and not
}before or after would I say:       wa'Hu' SepmajDaq  SISchoHpu'   -

That means "It had begun to rain on our region yesterday."  This seems to
imply that the rain started before yesterday.

}or would I have to say it in 2 sentences like:  wa'Hu' SepmajDaq
}SISchoH   'ach  ram mevpa' (Yesterday it started to rain on our region
}but night before it ceased)

Close.  {wa'Hu' SepmajDaq SISchoH 'ach qaSpa' ram mev}  "It rained on our
region yesterday but it stopped before night occured."

I've just had a thought would it actually
}be  - neH wa'Hu' SepmajDaq  SISpu'.

Nope. neH follows the noun it modifies.  Makes little sense out in front.

}I was going to say   -  wa'Hu'  neH .... -   but wouldn't that imply
}that 'yesterday it merely rained on our region (as opposed to other
}regions)'.

Read section 5.4 again.  If {neH} follows a noun, it means that noun alone.
If it follows a verb it trivializes the action.

wa'Hu' neH SepmajDaq SIS - It rained in our region yesterday only.
wa'Hu' SepmajDaq neH SIS - It rained yesterday in our region only.
wa'Hu' SepmajDaq SiS neH - It merely rained in our region yesterday.

}Anyway I'm getting side tracked here. I started off just meaning to
}takle the O&S discussion.   To illustrate my original point if I used
}it in full I might say:
}
}povam  lopno'Daq  SIStaH  muD  Dotlh  'ach   DaH  mevpu'
}'This morning the weather rained (continuously) on the celebration but
}now it has ceased.'

qay'be'.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian