tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 22 19:39:29 1998

Re: KLBC pong (v)

qe'San  'oH  pongwIj'e'

or as I prefer:

qe'San chopongjaj   (addressed to Qov)     or     qe'San tupongjaj
(addressed to all readers of the list).

Greetings!  I've been putting this off for some time now, not wanting
to make a complete fool of myself but as the saying goes:
bIlujlaHbe'chugh  bIQaplaHbe'
(I'll not insult anyone with a translation of that cannon phrase from
TKW).

Now that I've committed myself, have I made the correct use of  cho- &
 tu-   ?
What I mean is would each reader be singular, although plural in
total.  Each person would obviously read the message as if directed at
him/herself or would tu- be required to indicate that they are not the
only reader. I seem to be going round in circle there so I'll go on to
my next point.

I noticed in the FAQ that there was a problem with the use of the verb
  pong  as in how it should be used.  My thoughts there are that
instead of using it with the question what?  shouldn't it be used with
the question how?  just like in the example given by MO on page 70 TKD
relating to:  What are your orders?       -      chay' jura'
(clipped)  -  (literally)How do you order us?

Applying this to pong I ended up with:

chay' ponglu'   -  How someone call you?   -  How are you called (by
someone)?

chay' qapong    -  How I call you ?

or if your lucky:

chay' qapongjaj  -  How may I call you?