tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 22 04:31:13 1998

KLBC Poetry (the child is happy)

ghItlh: Qov <[email protected]>

>At 01:49 98-01-09 -0800, edy wrote:
>Ah, here are the missing ones:

>}>Now that the child has killed the bug, the child is happy.
>}DaH Quch ghew Heghpu'bogh puq'e'
>
>This was an example of "that" meaning "because" in English.
> You have to watch me because I like to put words in
> examples that force you to think about meaning.  You've
> actually written:
>"Now the bug is happy the child which has died."
> Try it again.

May be this one works:  DaH ghew HoHpu'mo' Quch puq
or DaH Quch puq ghew HoHpu'mo'.
(I didn't find any canon example be sure which one is correct,
but I prefer the first).

I would like to speculate this sentence a bit more before
become glad with it. Surely I'll say lot of "bullshits" here
but I ask you a bit of your patience. Please, don't throw
stone at me.

Well, if I want to say:

(The child which has killed the bug is happy)

Actually we have 2 sentences:

1. The child has killed the bug (ghew HoHpu' puq)
2. The child is happy (Quch puq)

I could say:

ghew HoHpu' puq vaj Quch puq
(The child has killed the bug then she is happy)

It's quite the same thing. The child can be happy, but I'm not :)

Okay .. back to the sentence again:

If I say: (ghew HoHpu'bogh puq'e' Quch), one could
say: "You cannot put the Topic 'e' in the first noun .."
Yes, I know it, but the topic 'e' here refers the previous
sentence "ghew HoHpu'bogh" and not the "puq Quch".

so, it could mean: "is happy the child who has killed the bug"

Quch puq'e' HoHpu'bogh ghew  ?
The child whom the bug has killed is happy

but again, it could mean
"The child is happy whom the bug has killed"

What can I do?

If I use the Adverb, it could become easier:

Now, the child which has killed the bug is happy

The 2 sentences:

1. The child has killed the bug (ghew HoHpu' puq)
2. Now, the child is happy (DaH Quch puq)

At my point of view, "the child is happy **now**" and not
"the child has killed the bug **now**"

Thus my shoot is:

ghew HoHpu'bogh puq'e' DaH Quch puq
(The child which has killed the fly now the child is happy)

or

ghew HoHpu'bogh puq'e' DaH Quch ghaH
(The child which has killed the fly now she is happy)

or

ghew HoHpu'bogh puq'e' DaH Quch
(Now, the child which has killed the fly, is happy)

Adjectives, ambiguities .. all together
The worst thing is that I think that the solution
shall be too near and I can't see it.

Writing these lines I saw an interesting thing. If we
drop the "," from the sentence:
(Now the child which has killed the fly is happy)
an alien could see:
Now the fly is happy the child which has killed

__
Eduardo Fonseca || Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Pau Brasil: The brazilian's VGA Planets home page
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/2460
Hovmey DIvan

Back to archive top level