tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 19 18:43:23 1998

Re: 'ej, qoj, pagh into negative sentances

ghItlh Eduardo:

>But if I say them into a negative sentence?
>
>Duj vIje’be' ‘ej juH vIje’be' - I don't buy a car and I don't buy a house

"I don't buy a vessel, and I don't buy a home." maj

>Duj vIje’be' qoj juH vIje’be' - I don't buy a car and/nor a house

"I don't buy a vessel and/or I don't buy a home." The and/or sense of <qoj>
is a little confusing here - think of what "and/or" means. One or both
statements is true, but at least one is true. "I don't buy a vessel or a
home, or I buy neither. If I were to buy a vessel, I would not buy a home,
and vice versa. But I might buy neither."

>Duj vIje’be' pagh juH vIje’be' - I don't buy neither a car nor a house (but
not
>both)???

Only one statement is true. "Either I don't buy a vessel or I don't buy a
home. I cannot buy both."

Qermaq

Back to archive top level