tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 18 20:04:50 1998

Re: Unofficial words (Was: Re puqpu')

ghItlh ghunchu'wI'

>{HuDDaq nagh lughIrmoHmeH puqpu' luDIngmoH}.

moHqu'. chaq Qap, 'ach *punctuation* vIneH! <HuDDaq nagh lughIrmoHmeH
puqpu', luDIngmoH.> vIparHa'.

Oh - I understand the grief of both peHruS and ghunchu'wI'. It is
exceedingly difficult to come up with pat translations of peHruS's wish
list - and ghunchu'wI''s suggestions are not catch-alls. We all could come
up with things which are hard to say. "Pressure" (the physical kind), for
example, can't be neatly expressed so easily. We can recast, though.

I agree that 99% of English can be translated with our present vocab. But
the remaining 1% is conjecturally either (a) to be addressed with future
vocab or (b)  not directly translatable, ever - forcing a recast.

We'll never completely empty the wish lists of the peHruS's in all of us.
And the ghunchu'wI''s in all of us will always try. But the least futile and
most constructive approach is to take it case by case. (Which is why
ghunchu'wi' wants context so badly.) I'll bet some of these words will be
glossed in Klingon sooner or later, but some words will never be perfectly
glossed. We will have to borrow from DIvI' Hol or recast into a lengthy
explanation on occasion. That is OK by me.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level