tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 15 09:44:04 1998

Re: (no subject)

For those who keep telling people to just follow the directions
and unsubscribe, please realize that there are exceptional
cases when the normal process to unsubscribe won't work. In
particular, if you change your Email address after subscribing
to the list and forward stuff from your old address to your new
address, you can unsubscribe from your new address and continue
to get mail forever.

Sometimes a human has to intervene to unsubscribe someone.
Holtej can do it. I think ~mark can do it. Most of us can't.

The instructions (and I don't have them with me - they are on
my laptop at home) include the address to write to in order to
get a human to unsubscribe you.  If you are pleasant, they will
do it, though they might not get around to it for a couple
days. This is volunteer work, after all.

If you are rude and piss them off, it will take longer. Much
longer. Piss them off enough and they have the ability to
filter out anything you write while NOT unsubscribing you, so
you'll keep getting mail but you can't write us complaining
about it.

So, if you really have been stuck for 7 months, I'm really
sorry. That's an ugly accident. Look at the FAQ, get the
address of the person to unsubscribe you and remember that
person is already doing a lot of work for this list for free
and likes being liked as much as anybody else. He also dislikes
being flamed as much as anybody else and will be much more
likely to help you out if you are nice about it.

The one time I tried to unsubscribe, it took about 2 months
because my address had been hand-coded in such a way that no
matter where I mailed from, I could not match the address it
was expecting from me. I empathize.

Good luck.

charghwI'

According to Scott Inman:

> You wrote:

> >>day

> >>those

> >>instructions...?

> >Yes it does, look again.  Only you can unsubscribe yourself.
>
> I must disagree. NO it does NOT work. I am living proof of this. I have sent in
> SEVERAL letters TRYING to unsubscribe, and yet I STILL receive the mail from the
> list. And this was 7 MONTHS ago that I started sending unsubscribe letters!

Back to archive top level