tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 14 12:53:53 1998

Re: Macro and micro

Edy wrote:
: Could I attach the noum suffixes <<-Hom>> and <<-'a'>> in the verbs
: <<mach>> and <<tIn>>  to give them the sense of size: micro and macro?
:    machHomyagh - microorganism
:    tIn'a'ngeHbej - macrocosmo
: or if I have to nominalizer them with <<-wI'>>
:    machwI'Homyagh
:    tInwI''a'ngeHbej

I responded:
: What's wrong with yagh machqu' (or just yaghHom) and ngeHbej tInqu' (or
even ngeHbej'a')?
: Replacing -qu' with -chu' might also work.  If you provide the complete
thought you want to

It only occurred to me a moment later that I didn't quite understand these
terms - which, of course, never stopped me from responding!

According to Merriam-Webster's CollegiateŽ Dictionary:

"mac.ro.cosm n [F macrocosme, fr. ML macrocosmos, fr. L macr- + Gk kosmos
order, universe] (1600) 1: the great world: universe 2: a complex that is a
large-scale reproduction of one of its constituents -- mac.ro.cos.mic adj --
mac.ro.cos.mi.cal.ly adv"

"mi.cro.cosm n [ME, fr. ML microcosmus, modif. of Gk mikros kosmos] (15c) 1:
a little world; esp: the human race or human nature seen as an epitome of
the world or the universe 2: a community or other unity that is an epitome
of a larger unity -- mi.cro.cos.mic adj -- mi.cro.cos.mi.cal.ly adv -- in
microcosm : in a greatly diminished size, form, or scale"

Thus: qo' tIn (or, reluctantly, qo''a') - but how this is different from
ngeHbej or 'u' by themselves escapes me - and qo' mach (or, qo'Hom).
However, it now seems that Edy is understanding them in some sort of
technical or restricted meaning.  qar'a'?

Voragh

Back to archive top level