tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 14 11:48:52 1998

Re: Macro and micro

Edy wrote:

:         Could I attach the noum suffixes << -Hom >> and << -'a' >> in the
verbs
: <<mach>> and <<tIn>>  to give them the sense of size: micro and macro?
:    machHomyagh - microorganism
:    tIn'a'ngeHbej - macrocosmo

You can't use the noun suffixes with verbs (except for -mo', which seems to
be a special case).  What's wrong with yagh machqu' (or just yaghHom) and
ngeHbej tInqu' (or even ngeHbej'a')?  Replacing -qu' with -chu' might also
work.  If you provide the complete thought you want to translate in a
sentence or two, then we could try them out and compare their effectiveness
in context.

: or if I have to nominalizer them with << -wI' >>
:    machwI'Homyagh
:    tInwI''a'ngeHbej

Feh!  Just what is it about those seductive suffixes -Hom and -'a' that make
people want to abandon mach and tIn?

Voragh

Back to archive top level