tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 13 05:49:18 1998

Re: Unofficial words (Was: Re puqpu')

In a message dated 98-01-09 23:50:16 EST, ghunchu'wI' answers peHruS' wish
list:

<<
 >bounce (v)       - Context, please?
                     I can think of about four different things you might
mean.
 >degree (n)       - Which of at least three different degrees do you mean?
 >stain, mar, spot (v/n) - nguvmoH
 >axis, spindle (n) - botlh
 >be beyond        - veb
 >plasma (n)       - 'Iw bIQ
 >weave, spin (v)  - Sut chenmoH, tlhegh chenmoH, SIrgh chenmoH
 >tip, point, end (n) - nItlhpach
 >brush (v)        - ngoH, Sach
 >slide, glide (v) - vIH, nech
 >bridge, span (n) - Dung He
 >feather (n)      - puvmeH ghISDenHey
 >be tame, be wild (sv) - tay, jot, jIj; tayHa', qu', tlhol
 >deflect (v)      - way'

-----peHruS continues---
bounce (v)  The ball bounces.  The child bounces the ball.  The photon beam
bounces back off the ship's hull.

degree (n)  The surface temperature of Rura Pente is minus 100 degrees.

stain, spot, mar (n)  I cannot get this stain out of the jacket.  nguvmoH is
okay a verb.  Recasting is acceptable, especially since tlhIngan Hol is a
verb-oriented language.  wepvam vISay'moHlaHchu'be' is something I can live
with.

axis, spindle (n) = botlh    Center, middle??????????  I think of an axis as
something on which a planet or other sphere rotates.  I think of a spindle as
something on which an object rotates.  Since {jIr} appears to be transitive, I
cannot fit it in when I wish to say "Qo'noS rotates on its axis once every 26
hours 35 minutes Earth time."

be beyond  (sv) = veb     {veb} means "be next in a series".  I want to say
"Kling is located beyond Deneb at coordinates -321.5, 48.6, -87.9."  {Hur}
might work in some situations, not this one.

plasma (n) = 'Iw bIQ    Don't think so!  Plasma of blood is a straw-colored
substance, not the water.  Besides, I apologize for not making it clear to you
that I wanted to have a word for the physical substance.  There exists solids,
liquids, gases, and plasma.

weave, spin (v)     I like your answers.  I just think Klingons would have a
word, considering the length of their history.

tip, point, end (n) = nItlhpach    Given that {nItlhpach} literally means
"finger claw", i.e. fingernail, I don't think it works so well.  "We see the
end of the tunnel."  "The glob fly lands on the tip of the twig."  "The point
of the needle is so sharp it can pierce metal."

brush (v) = ngoH, Sach     To paint with brush could be {ngoH}.  TKD gives
{Sach} as "expand".  I don't get the connection with "brush".  I could have
accepted {yach} "pet, stroke".  Perhaps a typo.  I made a couple.  Then,
there's {ngeQ} for "brush against".

slide, glide (v) = vIH, nech     Nice try.  Not descriptive enough, though.
{vIH} merely indicates being in motion; and, {nech} indicates only motion
sidewise, laterally.  Neither of these words covers the idea of sliding or of
gliding.  If the gliding is by an aeroplane-type device in the air, I still
need a word for "hover" as well.

bridge, span (n) = Dung He    I like it in its restricted sense.  I want to
say "Events are the bridge over time."  "The tree trunk acts as a span over
the chasm."

feather (n) = puvmeH ghISDenHey     Understandable until we get the real word.
I don't like comparing scales with feathers, though.  Not the same weight or
functionality.

be tame, be wild (sv) = tay, tayHa'     Sounds good, "uncivilized".  Perhaps
doesn't cover "domesticated".  qu' = be fierce can work.

deflect (v) = way'     Works only or parrying a lunge by an opponent using a
weapon.  Ships have deflectors {begh}.  How do they "deflect" anything, such
as torpedoes?

Sachjaj tlhIngan wo' 'ej Sach tlhIngan Hol mu'ghommaj
Qapla'     peHruS

Back to archive top level