tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 13 05:14:40 1998

Re: Unofficial words (Was: Re puqpu')

In a message dated 98-01-09 23:50:16 EST, ghunchu'wI' answers peHruS:

<<<<<<pe'>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  >>

----------peHruS writes----------

It is obvious that ghunchu'wI' and I understand English differently, let alone
tlhIngan Hol.  In order to clear up my desires regarding more words in
Klingon, I will start using some of my wish-list in sentences.

be curved (sv) = SIH.     TKD gives "bend".  Voragh, please provide canon uses
of {SIH}.  I have thought this a transitive verb, not a stative verb.  I would
have used {SIH} for {naQvam SIHlaH je puq}.  While it appears that ghunchu'wI'
might say {SIH He} and {naQvam SIHmoHlaH je puq}.

This means I would never have used {SIHHa'} as a stative verb either.

molecule = Hapvam mach law' Hoch mach puS     Seems to me more like the
meaning of the Greek word "atom".  Molecules may be quite complex structures
of atoms.  Besides, in the 23rd century we shall have use of many smaller
particles than molecules and atoms, viz. photons and waves.

adhere = Hum    TKD gives "be sticky".  I cannot force this to mean "sticks
to".

saw = peghwI'    I don't know what you are doing here.  I want to saw down a
tree.  I suppose I could use a knife.  It would take a while.  I probably
would use an {'obmaQ}.  Perhaps Klingons never developed a saw.  But, just
maybe Klingons do have other "serrated" blades.

be slippery = char     Slimy things may be slippery, but I don't agree that
the same word {char} can cover both concepts.

corner = Dop jej     Sharp side??????  I don't like this one, either.  No, I
would like a word for "corner".

pressure (n) = yuv, 'uy    These are both verbs:  "push", and "press down".
How do I say "vapor pressure" or "blood pressure"?

be narrow = lang; be broad/wide = langHa'     Sorry, TKD gives "be thin".  I
can use {lang} for "be slender" referring to a person but not for "be narrow".
If the paper is thin, or if the metal is thin, okay; but, "narrow" is a
different concept.

roll (v) = DIng, DIngmoH    TKD gives "spin".  What do we do about "The
{qa'vaQ} rolls along the ground." or "The children roll the stone down the
slope."?

surface of other than planet (n) = HeH, veH, Hur     Edge???  Boundary???
Outside???   I would prefer {yub} over these.  I think of {Hur} as an area off
the surface, outside the object.

pulse (n) = tInchoHtaH 'ej machchoHtaH     I don't think this verb
conglomeration covers the idea of "blood pulse" very well.

interval = poH     Fine, if we are discussing time only.  We need to address
an interval of space.  Often one word in the mother tongue translates to many
in a target language.

cast, mould (v) = Hew chenmoH     Again, fine, if we are discussing only
statues.  I would like to cast a photon ray tube.  I would like to mould a
replacement panel for the breach in the hull.

overhang (v) = qoj Dung     Okay for the noun, but I am trying to say, for
example, "The ledge overhangs (hangs out over) the lake."

be aslant = taH     Fine, for a negative angle only.  How can I express "The
path slants/slopes."?  Or, "The line segment is aslant in respect to the
axis."?

lining = qoD     qoD = inside area (KGT).  I don't think that adequately
covers the idea of a lining, a covering just inside the hull, shell, skin,
pelt, etc.

current = vIttaHbogh bIQ     Could I use vIttaHbogh 'ul, too?

root (n) = 'oQqar     I think this refers only to a sweet-potato-like tuber,
not all roots.  An ocarina is called a sweet potato in ebonics, thus the pun.
I have a feeling there is a heretofore unrevealed word for "root", and another
for "seed".

traverse, cross over (v) = vegh     According to discussion after our having
received {vegh} at the qep'a' loSDIch, {vegh} refers to passing through an
aperture.  I want a word for passing over an object, space, place.  I want a
word for crossing over a river, whether on a boat or on a bridge or on foot.

flame = qul     Okay, but I prefer qulHom, now.

arrangement = tlham     No.  {tlham} is only slang for a societal order (KGT).
I don't agree it would work for "flower arrangement" or "arrangement of books
in a library".
I know I'm not allowed to extract {morgh} from {may'morgh}, but it produces
evidence of being the better word, if MO extracts it for us.  We have not
addressed a verb for "to arrange [things]".

wind up; I want to wind up a spring.
wind around; I want to express "The road winds around the mountain."
branch, twig; parts of a tree, please.
tributary; branch of a stream or river.
bead, droplet; a bit of liquid.
frame, outline; the defining limits of an area, a field, the border around a
picture.

sew, stitch = tay'moHmeH SIrgh lo'     Very good.  But, would not Klingons
have a single word for "sew" considering the length of their history of
wearing clothing?

Again, these are wishful wishes.  I just hope Maltz and Marc Okrand reveal
even more wonderful tlhIngan Hol to us mere Earthlings.  --peHruS

BTW, prohibited from extracting meanings from compounds..........

include (v) = peH (from peHghep, wherein {peH} would appear to be a noun, not
a verb anyway)
bond, bonding (n) = ruS (from ruStay)

So, don't try to use them as separate words.

Back to archive top level