tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 12 21:05:08 1998

Re: DIS chu' Quch

-----Original Message-----
From: m109 <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Monday, January 12, 1998 2:33 PM
Subject: DIS chu' Quch

>Could an unemotional thing be the subject of Quch by making *that thing*
>happy for someone?

No.  It causes the same problem: the *thing* is being happy, which is what
is contested, whoever it's being happy for.

>SoHvaD DIS chu' Quchjaj
>
>May the new year be happy for you.

*IF* a year could be happy (I'm in dangerous water here, since this is what
started the whole argument in the first place -- I'm not saying a year could
be happy, I'm just concentrating on the grammar), *IF* a year could be
happy, the sentence would be

SoHvaD Quchjaj DIS chu'
May the new year be happy for you.

{DIS chu'} "new year" is the subject of the sentence, and so comes after the
verb, {Quch} "be happy."

(Once again, I'm NOT saying I agree with this subject for {Quch}, I'm just
pointing out the grammar.  SuQuch'a'?)

>Or could the sentence be rephrased so the person is happy?
>
>qaStaHvIS DIS chu' bIQuchjaj
>May you be happy during the new year.

This would make a *person* the subject of {Quch}, which eliminates the
problem.

SuStel
Stardate 98034.0

Back to archive top level