tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 01 12:41:07 1998

Re: KLBC -- jIlIHegh (extreme beginner)

> Welcome, notjISaH. Since you knew to put KLBC in your header,
>  I'll assume you already know about Beginners' Grammarians and
>  KLBC, etc.

Yeah, I've been receiving (and mostly not being able to read) the mailing list
for a couple of weeks.

>  valqu'ba' loDnI'lIj.

valqu'bej 'ach QaQ meqwIj'e' Hon.  pIj mutlhob <<qatlh Hol 'oghlu'pu'bogh
Daghoj DaneH?>>  tlhIngan Hol vIlo'laHbe''e' Qub loDnI'wI'.  jIQoch.

(He is certainly very intelligent, but he doubts that my reason is good.
(assuming {meq} to mean "rational thought" or something similar)  He often
asks me "Why do you want to learn a language that someone has invented?"  My
brother thinks that I won't be able to use the Klingon Language.  I disagree.)

Wow, there is a lot of opportunity here for the oh-so-desirable English poetic
parallel structure...

>  > ghomvamDaq jIchu'.  DaHjaj jIHvaD TKD
>  > nobpu' loDnI'wIj.
>
>  All this is fine with one little comment.
>  {-pu'} does not mean past tense. It means perfective aspect.
>  Your English translation says, "...my brother gave me...".
>  That's simple past tense. Klingon doesn't have tense, so past
>  tense is simply figured out from context. You set the time
>  context with {DaHjaj} and considering how well you've done up to
>  this point, we'd have to assume it was earlier today that you
>  got your TKD.

So it should simply be {DaHjaj jIHvaD TKD nob loDnI'wI'}?  I didn't write the
verb that way because of what TKD said in the introduction to the Aspect
suffixes (4.2.7)... "The absence of a Type 7 suffix usually means that the
action is not completed and is not continuous."  It seemed like the action was
completed, a discrete event.  He gave it to me.  The giving is over.  Maybe
I'm still confusing the tense/aspect thing, or maybe I should simply translate
more carefully.  I don't mean to question what you say here at
all...apparently it's pretty basic and accepted, etc....I just don't
understand what is meant by {nob} alone when there is a past-tense time frame
from the context.

vIghorpu'   --  I had broken it. / I have broken it. / I will have broken it.
vIghor       --  I broke it. / I break it. / I will break it.

???????

Sure, but...how does the non-completion part fit w/ {vIghor}?

(I've read the more recent, and very lengthy, posts on this topic, and I see
how it's obviously supposed to work...I just can't wrap my brain around how
it'd feel to a native speaker of Klingon to mark verbs with aspect instead of
tense...)

>  As written in Klingon, it would translate: "Today, my brother
>  has given me TKD," or "Today, my brother had given me TKD," or
>  even "Today, my brother will have given me TKD." None of this
>  matches what you apparently intended, so you probably want to
>  omit {-pu'} here.

I translated that suffix as "gave" because some of the examples in TKD (4.2.7)
under {-pu'} are translated into simple past or
whatever..."wanted"..."told"...so i assumed it was acceptable.  I should've
been more precise, under the circumstances.  AND I need to get access to and
study a lot more canon, apparently...

>  > tlhingan Hol ghojmeH vIqeqtaH.
>
>  You probably want {jIqeqtaH} instead of {vIqeqtaH} unless you
>  are implying "it" as the object. What you have is not wrong, but
>  it does not match the English translation below. That would have
>  required {jIqeqtaH}.

Hmmm...looks like I was too set on the English phrasing.  I was thinking "I am
practicing it." as in "I am practicing Klingon."  From what you wrote, I'm
assuming "it" representing "the language" is not a jarring indirect object for
{qeq} in Klingon, and the problem was just with my mismatched translation.

>  While {ghojmeH} works here as is, it would be a little more
>  precise to say {vIghojmeH}, since you really are the one person
>  who will learn because you are practicing. {-meH} verbs are used
>  without a prefix sometimes, but this setting is not a
>  particularly good one for this. Again, what you have is not
>  wrong. It would be better with {vI-}.

OK, I understand.  Because of the {-meH} I guess I wasn't properly considering
the phrase as a whole.

>  > jIwebeghpu'be' 'e' vItul.
>
>  This is the worst mistake you've made so far. Realize that it is
>  remarkable that you wrote this much for your first attempt and
>  only made these minor errors. You should be proud.

mmm, cool, thanks for the encouragement...

>  Your first mistake is an honest one. {-'egh} always begins with
>  an apostrophe. There is a typo in TKD where it is left out and
>  you probably learned it from that one instance.

Oh, boy!! Break out the red ink! :-)

>  > wa'maH' Soch ben boghpu'.
>
>  Except for forgetting the right prefix, this is perfect. Who was
>  born seventeen years ago?

wa'maH' Soch ben jIboghpu'.

{ben} is a noun, but the entire "17 yrs. ago"  phrase is adverbial or
something, not an object...or at least that's my reasoning for using {jI}.

>  > Hello.    (Is "nuqneH" an appropriate general greeting, or should it only
be
>  > used in a context where the "what do you want?" thing makes more sense?)
>
>  People fight over this here a lot. Some people will lecture you
>  every time you use it in a setting where it would not be
>  appropriate to say in English, "What do you want?"

LOL...soon after I sent this, a whole debate sprung up on the topic in another
mail!!  Your examples were helpfully illustrative, so thanks a lot.

>  Anyway, I think there is something about names on the FAQ you
>  were supposed to have gotten when you joined the list. You might
>  check at http://www.kli.org. I think there is a link to such
>  things...

Qu'vatlh!!!  jabbI'IDghom lIHbogh *FAQ*Hom'e' vIlaDpu'.  *website* *FAQ*
vIlaDpu'be'.  jeH jiHlaw'.  poHvatlhDaq *website*Daq *FAQ* vInejpu'be'.
chotu'moHDI' vIlaD.  Supvam vIlo'pu'chugh qay' jIH Quch law' jIH Quch puS.

translation:

AGGGHHHH!! (insert appropriate curse....if that's directed at a person besides
myself, I apologize, I meant it only as an exclamation.)    I had read the
shortened FAQ which introduced the mailing list.  I had not read the website's
FAQ.  I appear to be absentminded.  ( {jeH jiH} Hahaha!! I don't know about
the spoken language, but these transliterations are so very musical!!!)  At
that time, I had not searched for a FAQ on the website.  As soon as you caused
me to notice [it], I read it.  If I had used this resource, I would have been
happier than I am happy.

OK, I admit that it all falls apart on that last phrase.  Can I put suffixes
on verbs in that comparative formula?

Essentially, reading the FAQ first could've saved me the trouble of figuring
out how to introduce myself in the first place!!  I apologize for the
redundant question(s); I'm sure that can get annoying.

A few more questions related to this passage:

--The construction {poHvatlhDaq} does not seem very probable from what I have
read.  Can the locative suffix be used to mean "at" a time?  Or would it maybe
have to be some complex "During the time before ____some specific
occurence___"?

--chotu'moH.....    "you cause me to discover/notice (something)"? One of the
examples of the use of {-moH} in TKD 4.2.4 is {HIQoymoH}, and is translated as
"let me hear (something)".  This is the reason I felt semi-comfortable using
the {cho-} prefix.  However, the example I just cited is a command, so it
might not apply....or I could be reading the implications incorrectly.
Comment?

>  Yes. Okrand tells us that if the indirect object is first or
>  second person, this shortcut will work. Meanwhile, he said that
>  a while back on MSN, so it is not in TKD.

Yeah, I picked that up in another KLBC post, but I wasn't sure enough to
actually use it...now I've seen several references to it.

>  You got the overall grammar right. You just honestly misspelled
>  one suffix and omitted another. You were VERY close to correct.

=)  Hehe...somehow i doubt the old saying is gonna be appended to read
"...horseshoes, hand-grenades, and Klingon grammar..."

> ghojwI' jIH.  *University of Richmond, VA*Daq
> De'wI'mey QeD yab joq vIHaDtaH.
>  > I am a student.  I am studying
>  > computer science and/or psychology     (QeD yab = "the mind's
science"???)
>  > at the University of Richmond in VA.
>
>  It would have been MUCH clearer had you repeated the word {QeD}.

I see...I just had "computers" {De'wI'mey} originally, but it does make more
sense to write the "science" part w/ that word too.

>  And that would be {yab QeD}, not {QeD yab}.

Oops, that was a mistake; I was twisting the noun-noun stuff around in my head
a good bit.

>  > I haven't really seen anything (I don't
>  > think) saying that wI' can modify the whole thing together.
>
>  It doesn't have to. {Sut Say'moHwI'} means either "clothing's
>  washer" or "washer of clothing". The {-wI'} transforms the verb
>  "to wash" into a noun "washer". Once it is a noun, it can be
>  used in a noun-noun phrase with another noun.

Cool, this is pretty clear now.  Regular N-N translation, sure.  I think I had
the impression that something like this'd mean the washer of _a specific_
"clothing," possibly as in one load of laundry.  I have a better feel for the
way those constructions can be used now.

The rest of the corrections made perfect sense, and there wasn't really
anything I could comment on...so i zapped'em...

vay'mey mughojmoHbejpu'.

(Heehee!! I just couldn't resist!  That is supposed to read "You have
definitely taught me some stuff (somethings)."  Interesting stuff, I might
add.  Mainly though, I just wrote it in hopes of finding out if the Klingon
word {vay'} has the same pluralization oddities as the various English
translations, or if we can feel it as a regular Klingon noun, just pulling the
meaning from the English.  Also, just to make sure: {ghojmoH} is actually
listed in the dictionary part of TKD, so if I happened to want to use a type 2
verb suffix with it, I should just treat it as an entire word, and NOT order
things around the {-moH}? )

>  charghwI', taghwI' pabpo' ru'
>  Temporary Beginner's Grammarian, December 20-30

Thanks again. :-)   Hope '98 is interesting!

--notjISaH

Back to archive top level