tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 11 19:59:08 1998

Re: Unofficial words (Was: Re puqpu')

>Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 13:32:25 -0800 (PST)
>From: WestphalWz <[email protected]>
>
>For "cat" I use {vIghro'}.  It, too, may be a pun from Bugs Bunny's cat
>singing "Figaro" with the cat's uvula undulating.

More likely the cat in Pinoocchio.

>I add (not found in canon but made from canon words):

A curious collection.  Some so trivial I wonder you're not listing "jISap"
for "I volunteer", since it isn't found in canon, and some quite puzzling
and hindsighty.  I sort of wonder why you're intent on translating
individual *words* in this manner.

>SaH = be dovted to

"devoted", right?  Hrm, I don't see it.  Maybe SaHqu'?  Even that smacks of
hindsight.

I don't think I'll mark all the ones I think are hindsight words; that
would get too long.

>vorSagh = feces (source is canon, English translation is speculation)

Spelling and pronunciation and meaning.  It could be carrion, offal,
compost, even a particular animal known for smell ("rotting" added for
emphasis).

>wuvlu' = supports (v)

"Supports" is a transitive verb in English, but "wuvlu'" would have no
subject except the "indefinite" one.  I don't see how they could parallel.

>pavmoH = prioritize

Only "to make more important" I would think.  You couldn't "pavmoH"
something to be low on the list of important things.

>rIghmoH = maime

There's no "e" in "maim."

>paq pat = library (computer system)

A "book system"?  Unless it's a system for or consisting of books, I'm
puzzled.

What about {paqghom} for "library" in the sense of one's collection of
books?

>Hov pat = star system

This "system" seems sort of idiomatically English to me.  What's
"systematic" about a bunch of rocks around a star?  Then again, what DOES
"system" mean?  Or {pat}?

>Hov tlhoQ = star cluster

More likely {ghom} or {ghom'a'}.  {tlhoQ} sounds like something all mixed
together into one mass, not a bunch of individual somethings all hanging
out near each other.

~mark

Back to archive top level