tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 10 19:47:41 1998

naH jajmey

Voragh wrote:
|I've always thought of {tI} "vegetation" as being more "ground cover" or
|"brush" - a term a landing party might use to describe the surface of a
|planet.

Okrand wrote (KGT: 88f):
|"Any part of any plant that is eaten may be termed {naH}, usually
|translated `fruit' or `vegetable.' ... there are no known generic names
|for different types of {naH} (though there are terms for specific plants
|and parts of a plant)... Agriculture ({Satlh}) is practiced to a certain
|extent, though it is common to gather uncultivated plants as well. Fruit
|or vegetables that come from a farm ({Du'}) are called either {naH} alone
|or {Du' naH} (`farm fruit or vegetable,' or `produce'); the wild variety
|is termed {naH tlhab} (literally, `free fruit or vegetable')."

tevram's question got me to thinking about just how much we know about
Klingon botany. Quite a bit more than I suspected, it turns out as I looked
through my notes. Here is some vocabulary:

naH		fruit, vegetable
tI		vegetation
por		leaf
naQ		stick (possibly "branch" as well?)
ngem		forest, woods
Sor		tree
lav		shrub
tIr		grain
vIychorgh	plant juice, sap
yub		husk, rind, peel, shell
naHnagh		pit (of fruit)
'oQqar		tuber, root (edible only?)
naHlet		nut(s)
qurgh		bean(s)

vIno'va' qurgh	finova beans (KCD)
na'ran		type of fruit
yuch		chocolate
'atlhqam	type of fungus
peb'ot		a torpedo-shaped fruit
DIghna'		digna plant (its leaves are fried)
DayquS		dikus plant (KGT)  [What is this?]
chal		a kind of beautiful blossoming flower (SAREK)
naHjej		thistle (flower)

Satlh		agriculture
Du'		farm (n)
yotlh		field (n)
Du' naH		produce (n)
naH tlhab	wild fruit & vegetables
yob		harvest (v)
wIj		farm (v)
poch		plant (v)
baQ		be fresh, just-picked
DeH		be ripe, overripe

Okrand has certainly given us quite a lot of vocabulary for this imaginary
carnivorous race!  Have I missed any?

Voragh

Back to archive top level