tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 10 16:31:37 1998

Re: Compound nouns

|>*naHQeD        botany, horticulture
|
|I thought \tI\ was vegetation and \naH\ was just fruit. The study of fruits
|is a whole 'nother -ology.  I"ve always used \tIHaDwI'\for botanist
|as one who studies plants.
|
|tevram

"Any part of any plant that is eaten may be termed {naH}, usually
translated `fruit' or `vegetable.' ... there are no known generic names for
different types of {naH} (though there are terms for specific plants and
parts of a plant) ... Agriculture ({Satlh}) is practiced to a certain
extent, though it is common to gather uncultivated plants as well. Fruit or
vegetables that come from a farm ({Du'}) are called either {naH} alone or
{Du' naH} (`farm fruit or vegetable,' or `produce'); the wild variety is
termed {naH tlhab} (literally, `free fruit or vegetable')." (KGT p. 88f)

I've always thought of {tI} "vegetation" as being more "ground cover" or
"brush" - a term a landing party might use to describe the surface of a
planet.

Voragh

Back to archive top level