tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 07 11:04:19 1998

Re: Phantom words in KGT

: ter'eS wrote:
:: Two other very intriguing words are {lat} 'shrine' and {jatyIn} 'spiritual
:: possession'!  Was there perhaps a KGT chapter on Klingon beliefs that
:: got cut from the final draft, and these two words got missed in the
:: editing?
:
: If by {lat} Okrand means the portable box containing a statuette of Kahless,
: then we've seen one from time to time in Worf's quarters on TNG. KGT is full
: of names for Klingon things we've seen all along in the television episodes.
: I don't have the book with me now, but I think there's a nice picture of it
: in TKW. If this is a {lat}, then it would seem to refer to a household shrine
:
: Voragh

Found it. There's a nice close-up photo of one with its carved doors open,
containing a statueete of what appears to be Kahless holding a conventional
sword (interestingly, NOT his bat'leth) on p. 210 of "The Klingon Way".
Again if this is a {lat}, you could probably also use this word to refer to
those bejeweled boxes the Bajorans use to hold their "tears of the Prophets"
on DS9.  Or the Terran "Ark" of the Covenant, I wonder?

Voragh (again)

Back to archive top level