tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 06 11:36:50 1998

Re: Translation of English Past and Present Perfect Tenses in

According to Neal Schermerhorn:

> ghItlh ghunchu'wI':
>
> >Perfective aspect says the action is completed in the context of the
> sentence.
> >If the context of the sentence is a date 43 years in the past, the action
> of
> >charghwI''s birth is not a completed one. {-pu'} would not be right here,
> >even though his birth took place in the past.
>
> wejmaH ben jIboghpu' 'ach wejmaH ben wa'vatlh wa'maH loS Hu' vIbogh.
>
> 30 years ago I had been born, but 30 years, 114 days ago, I was born.
>
> Qermaq

lOQ jIQochchu'. qaSDI' qoSwIj jIjatlh <loSmaH wej ben jIbogh.>
DaH jIjatlh <losmaH wej ben jIboghpu'.> 'ach jIjatlhbe'
<vIboghpu'.> jIjatlh <jIboghpu'.>

charghwI'

Back to archive top level