tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 06 05:09:28 1998

Re: Translation of English Past and Present Perfect Tenses in

ghItlh Qermaq
>>If the context of the sentence is a date 43 years in the past, the action
of
>>charghwI''s birth is not a completed one. {-pu'} would not be right here,
>>even though his birth took place in the past.
>
>wejmaH ben jIboghpu' 'ach wejmaH ben wa'vatlh wa'maH loS Hu' vIbogh.
>
>30 years ago I had been born, but 30 years, 114 days ago, I was born.

People seem to be forgetting that, although this is logical, Okrand has
told us that you do use {-pu'} in this case.  But it's definitely not past
tense -- just a grammatical quirk.
Qapla'
qoror

Back to archive top level