tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 04 11:20:08 1998

Re: KLBC: waqmey lutuQ verenganpu'

>At 19:52 98-01-02 -0800, 'elren wrote:
>}I was bored today so I thought I would try and translate a Black
Sabbath
>}song. It was tougher than I thought in places, but I gave it a go
>}anyway...
>
>yb 667ttytttjn 67
>
>(Qov bangs her forehead on the keyboard a few times)

(QovvaD SeHlaw chu' nob 'elren)

>It is really really really frustrating for me to have to try to
>correct translations by someone who is not ready to translate.  When >a
person writes down his or her own ideas using an attempt at Klingon
>grammar, s/he know exactly what s/he is trying to say, and looks for
>the Klingon grammar that matches it.  For some reason, when a person
>translates directly from a terrestrial text into a Klingon one, s/he
>start translating just the words and not the meaning. When you can
>freely translate your own meaning into Klingon without significant
>grammatical error, then, if you still feel driven to it, attempt to
>translate.

I would just like to make a few points about this.

A. You have no idea what level I am at with the Klingon Language, and
therefore should not be saying whether or not I am ready to translate
other people's english.

B. I did not ask for your advice on how I should translate work, I just
wanted you to look at the grammer and vocab that I used in the
translation, and tell whether or not it is the correct use of it.

C. I am not the greatest person at learning languages, I have been
learning Klingon for about 5 years now, and the way I was taught to
learn languages at school was by translateing sentances I was given, in
order to build vocabulary and practice grammer. Since vocab is my worst
spot, I simply use this sort of exercise to learn new words that I
wouldn't normally use when wrighting my own thoughts, therefore
expanding my vocab.

D. A great deal of the time, the Klingon Language does not have the
words I want to use in order to put across my thoughts, and I get left
with very bland sentances which have little to do with my orginal ideas.

>I don't think you proofread this: there is a mistyped or misspelled
>word in almost every line. I will point out some of the problems I
>find.  I recommend that you go through your work and ask what is the
>subject and object of each verb, and what is the main clause of each
>sentence, making sure you have used the correct word order,
>vocabulary, prefixes, and suffixes for the grammar.
>
>}Here goes:
>}
>}juH jaHtaH, eram Qav paS
>
>Canon shows that {jaH} does not take the destination as its object.

<snip the klingon>

The spelling mistakes, I apologise for, I was typing it into my computer
from a handwritten version and didn't have my TKD with me to check the
spelling, and my handwriting is bad ;)

One last point, you say "Canon shows", and that is not very helpful
unless you quote the canon, and then give an example of how to say the
line correctly;

...as far as I can see, and I don't have every single peice of canon
stored in my head, I go home would be juH jIjaH...

unless it says something in TKD, how am I supposed to know otherwise,
and get it right next time?

>Qov     [email protected]
>Beginners' Grammarian

Qapla' 'ej QaQjaj HeghlIj

|'elren maqa'vIan HoD, IKC q'rataq, KWS | [email protected] |
|   Petty Officer, Communications Officer ILP Blood Sword   |
| http://www.cryogen.com/elren | KLI member | UIN 22661781  |
|       'ej Sarq Hurgh lIgh lIghwI' Hurgh 'e' vIlegh        |
|   'ej Hegh 'oH lIghwI' pong'e' 'ej rop 'oH Sarq pong'e'   |