tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 03 20:14:13 1998

Re: pongmey

ghItlh Q'aSHa':

>I'm still confused, which way am I supposed to spell my name to have it
>sound right? In english it's spelled Kasha (slightly odd spelling of it,
>even in english. I think my parents tooh that hooked on phonics stuff a
>little too far. It's supposed to be spelled Kasia)

These are MY OPINIONS. I think they are right, but I have been wrong plenty
of times. I respect other's opinions about mine, and welcome comments, as I
am sure Q'aSHa' will. Plus, I am going beyond her specific question since
this is a common one.

First, there is nothing really wrong with Q'aSHa' - aside from that you
can't pronounce it. Names break the rules sometimes - janluq pIqarD breaks
observed rules on how to put together names, but it's canon.

If you want a name that conforms to Klingon spelling and sounds like your
own name, you first need to be lucky enough to have a name whose sounds are
the same as or similar to Klingon letters. You are lucky. \ka'-sha\ is a lot
like <qaSa>. (Remember, <q> is like an English \k\ in the back of the
throat, and <Q> is a prolonged vibration. And <S> sounds a lot like \sh\.)

Notice I added no apostrophes (') to it. That's because there's no glottal
stop in \ka'-sha\. (The ' I put there is an accent.) If you wrote the
syllable <qa'> it would sound a lot like English "caught" with the \t\
swallowed in the throat as it's often pronounced. Then <qa'Sa'> would sound
like "caught-shot". Not your name, I am glad! But if your name were
"Charlotte", perhaps <charla'> or <Sarla'> would be a good spelling.

Also check that each syllable (1) starts with a single consonant (2) has a
vowel next and (3) is followed by a single consonant, one of <w'>, <y'>, or
<rgh>, or nothing. If two consonants neighbor each other and are not one of
the above 3, they belong to separate syllables. (There is no written canon
for this, but every known syllable but 2 are just like this.) (The 2 are
<oy> and <qarD>.) <qaSa> has two syllables, both Consonant-Vowel-Nothing.

If your name is Chuck, and you can't find a schwa vowel in Klingon, or if
it's Scott, and there are no double initial consonants, you'll need to
either use a different name, or use a name which is "incorrectly" spelled.
<Sqot> is an acceptable name, I feel, but is not a "proper" spelling. <choq>
sounds a little like Chuck, but isn't exactly the same.

Plus, look up what your name means!!! <ghewmach> only strikes fear into the
hearts of those who don't realize it means "small bug". I chose, as an
while <choq> means "He saves". Much nicer name.

qaSa (if I may call you that!), your name doesn't translate - yet. That is
fine, but you must hope that MO doesn't make a verb <Sa> and make it mean
"be weaker than" - then <qaSa> would mean "I am weaker than you". (My name
is similarly dangerous - I used the example before of <Qer> meaning
"idiocy" - then <Qer maq> would be most unflattering.) On the other hand,
charghwI' and ghunchu'wI' have names derived from the language. Look them
up.

So, in summary, a Klingon by any name would smell... well, would just smell.

>Q'aSHa'
>Still just as stupid, but thanks for the help

Stupidity is not asking questions. You are smart enough to ask. majQa'.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level