tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 03 20:14:04 1998

Re: pongmey

>I'm still confused, which way am I supposed to spell my name to have it
>sound right?  In english it's spelled Kasha (slightly odd spelling of it,
>even in english.  I think my parents tooh that hooked on phonics stuff a
>little too far.  It's supposed to be spelled Kasia)
>Q'aSHa'
>Still just as stupid, but thanks for the help

First, your name is your name; you can spell it however you want.

Now for my opinion... If I saw [Kasha] and wanted to "convert" it into
klingon phonetics I would spell it [ qa'Sa' ] or [ qaSa' ].  Both follow
proper klingon syllable construction.
  Putting the H in there seems to throw the sound off to far.  In canon
names [Q] is usually translated as [ Kr ] and [ q ] becomes [ K ].

qeng    Kang
qeylIS  Kahless
qor     Kor

Qel     Krell
Qugh    Kruge
valQIS  Valkris
Qo'noS  Kronos

The non-canon names I've seen that use [ Q'...] seem to get pronounced as
[q] or [K] with the glottal stop.
Note that in non-name words Q (or any consonant) can not be next to ' in the
same syllable (with a few exceptions at the end, of course)

DloraH

(yes, I know. My name doesn't meet proper syllable structure either because
of the two consonants D and l.  But my name does have meaning to me.

Back to archive top level