tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 03 00:13:38 1998

Re: KLBC -- jIlIHegh (extreme beginner)

-----Original Message-----
From: Qov <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Friday, January 02, 1998 3:32 PM
Subject: Re: KLBC -- jIlIHegh (extreme beginner)

>At 13:58 98-01-01 -0800, notjISaH wrote:

>}In Spanish, a lot of verbs like this are reflexive....so it's sort of   I-
>}shrug-myself the-shoulders.      I-brush-myself the-teeth.    I guess it
>}wouldn't make sense to start dropping {-'egh} in there...?
>
>qayajqa'chu'.  I use this example often when pointing out that we assume
>things about Klingon without realizing it, based on English.  I would not
>consider such usage wrong.  Most English Klingon speakers would think it
>very odd.

It also doesn't seem to be supported by the grammar.  When doing these
actions, you still need an object.  However, verbs with {-'egh} always take
the "no object" prefix, and I suspect have no object at all (other than the
"self" of the subject).  If "I brush myself the teeth" were a common sort of
thing to say, you'd be able to use objects with {-'egh}'d verbs.

SuStel
Stardate 98007.5

Back to archive top level