tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 03 00:13:36 1998

Re: Was KLBC: 2 suffix Type 9 in a whole sentence

-----Original Message-----
From: Qov <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Friday, January 02, 1998 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: Was KLBC: 2 suffix Type 9 in a whole sentence

>At 05:29 98-01-01 -0800, charghwI' wrote:
>}rojmeH Qu'vaD lIghommeH yejquv Qang lengtaHvIS 'ej pagh
>}buQtaHvIS HIvlu'mo' Hegh yejquv Qang.
>}(wej wo' tu'lu'pu'bogh)
>
>Fair enough.  It can be done in one sentence.  I like breaking it up into
>multiple sentences, because the kicker is "the Qang is dead."  I felt it
>changed the impact of the statement to give the explanation after the
>highlight.

I agree.  The sentence should be recrafted to match the style and emphasis
used in the English version.  Your "kicker" is right, and then the
ambassador goes on to list the points which give the kicker its strength.
While technically correct, I would be confused upon hearing the sentence
above.  I don't see how to list the points effectively according to Klingon
grammar, while keeping it all in one sentence.  I can imagine the Klingon
ambassador holding up his hand and counting each point on his fingers.

My go:

Heghpu' yejquv Qang!  HIvlu'pu' 'e' bajbe'!  tlhIH lIghommeH lenglI'!
rojHom maqta'!  roj chavtaH 'e' nID!
The Chancellor of the High Council has died!  The attack upon him had not
been earned!  He was traveling in order to meet *you*!  He had declared a
truce!  He was trying to achieve peace!

(I rather like the "transition" of {rojHom} to {roj} here.  He'd declared a
{rojHom}, and was trying to make it a {roj}.)

SuStel
Stardate 98007.4

Back to archive top level