tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 02 18:47:34 1998

Re: KLBC: Inept attempts

At 15:02 98-01-02 -0800, Darrin Laurelsson wrote:
}Well, one of the BG's has issued a challenge.  I can't stand being called a
coward.

DanIDDI' batlh bIvang.

}So, here's the deal.  I am writing and directing a small presentation
featuring Klingons. }In fact, there's only one non-Klingon in the cast.  In
any case, this means I will need } }to translate a great many lines in
tlhIngan-Hol.  I have done my best (given my copious }spare time).  Samples
for your review follow. Translations are not literal! I invite your
}(scathing) criticism.
}
}QEYN: taywI', qul'etlh.  batlh qarI'neS.  nuqneH?
}	taywI', qul'etlh.  I greet you with honor.  What do you want?

The adverb {batlh} refers to the honour of the action performed.  The suffix
{-neS} is an honourific to the addressee.  By saying {batlh qarI'} the
speaker is indicating that s/he does the hailing in an honourable fashion.
I doubt that was what you intended.

As you are addressing two people, you need to use the prefix for I-you
(plural).  It's {Sa-} look it up on page 33 of TKD.

If you really want to say "what do you want?" use the full form: {nuq
boneH}. Use {bo-} when addressing more than one person.

{SarI'neS, nuqneH} - "I hail you, honoured ones, greetings"

}TAYWI': Su'maH qeynHoD
}	We are ready, Captain qeyn.

{Su'} is an exclaimation made by someone who is about to give an order, as
in "Ready, set, go!"  It is not a statement of readiness to do something
else, or a statement of general readiness.

The pronouns are never squished together with other words to form one word,
and you also need a space between the name and the title. {qeyn HoD}

The way you say that you are "ready" to do something, in Klingon requires
you to say what it is that you are ready to do.  You use the suffix {-rup},
described in section 4.2.2 of TKD on the verb with the correct prefix for
the subject and object.

maHIv - we attack
maHIvrup - we are ready to attack

mavang - we take action
mavangrup - we are ready to take action

}QEYN: So'wI'yIchu
}	Activate cloak.

Missing a space.  {So'wI' yIchu'}

}C: HISlaH.  So'wI'chu'lu'ta'
}	Yes.  Cloaking device activated.

{HISlaH} is "yes" in response to a yes/no question.  In respone to an order
or request, say {lu'} or {luq}.  The meaning is "yes, ok, I will"

Again you have run your words together -- are you maybe using a proportional
font that makes it hard to see spaces after {'}?

{So'wI' chu'lu'ta'} - maj

Good work.  I think you probably took some of that from other sources and
adapted it to what you were doing, right?  That's a good way to learn, just
make sure you understand why what you are using means what it does.  For
example, do you know why there is a {-lu'} in {chu'lu'ta'}? Ask, if you
can't figure it out.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level