tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 26 06:42:03 1998

Re: KLBC: Counterparts

From: Alan Anderson <[email protected]>
>{Quch} "be happy" -- {Quchbe'} "be unhappy".  {Quchbe'} is
>apparently a neutral condition.  The actual *opposite* of {Quch} is
>{'IQ} "be sad".

If {Quchbe'} is a neutral condition, then a better translation would
probably be "not be happy."  "Be unhappy" does not seem to represent a
neutral condition.

Quchbe' tlhIngan.
The Klingon is not happy.  (Not, "The Klingon is unhappy.")

SuStel
Stardate 98153.7

P.S. You know when you completely blank on a perfectly common word: you look
at it and can't believe that that combination of letters makes up the
concept you're so familiar with?  That just happened to me with "happy."  It
looked so . . . weird.  {Quch} still clicked in my brain as usual, but
"happy" was totally alien.  My transformation must be beginning . . .

Back to archive top level