tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 24 18:33:54 1998

Re: KLBC: Re: qechmey vIHutlh

ja' HovqIj:
>1.majatlhchuq. lutmey DIjatlh. -We talk to each other. We tell stories.
>(Note that I changed {ja'chuq} into {jatlhchuq}; I think it's better
>because it can't be misunderstood so easily)

But {ja'chuq} is in the dictionary, and I think it means exactly what you
want it to: "We tell one another.  We confer.  We talk among ourselves."

{jatlhchuq} is not obviously correct for the meaning you desire.  We know
{jatlh} has as its object the thing spoken (a language, a lecture, etc.),
and we know we can use the "prefix trick" to indicate a first- or second-
person addressee, but I'm very reluctant to try to extend the idea of the
prefix-mangling to a reflexive verb suffix.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level