tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 23 11:17:24 1998

Re: KLBC:Re: tlhutlh

QomwI' wrote:
>William H. Martin wrote:
>>
>> The beginner's grammarian, Qov, should answer this, since you
>> say you are a beginner, but since you didn't put "KLBC" in your
>> subject header,

charghwI' didn't include, "... and as she has been very lazy of late,
..." but he would have been right.

>> Qov may miss this one, so I'll step in (and she
>> can deal with me later if I have transgressed). Anyway, if she
>> also answers, listen to her. She's the BG after all...

I did start to answer it, but my message was essentially the same as
charghwI''s: "isn't good for me" is a set of words in English that
means a number of things.  To translate into Klingon, pick one and be
specific.  charghwI', pIj bI'uH'a'?  SIbI' QomwI' ghu' Dayajlaw'. :)

>> On Sat, 21 Feb 1998 14:24:38 -0800 (PST) Engelbert
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>"Too much drinking isn't good for me." I tried to translate
>>this idea in Klingon and came upon {jIHvad QaQbe' tlhutlh}. Not
[...]
>> far as I know, a subject is always a noun.

Yes. A noun, or a pronoun, or a pronoun implied by a verb prefix but
not stated.

>>I wonder if it it possible to "nounify" a verb in Klingon as it
>>is in English.
> There are ways to do this, but ...

I was waffling myself over how to answer this. We do have a tool to
do it, but it's a dangerous and specialized tool, so we aren't
telling you about it because you can do better work with the other
tools.

> I think I got the point.
> Considering that there is a word for "hangover" (as ghunchu'wI'
> pointed out), I came to:
> jIcheghpu'DI' jI'uHchoH. ghu' vItIvbe' vaj jIchechchoH vIneHbe'.

"When I have returned I get a hangover.  I don't enjoy this
situation, thus I don't want to get drunk."

majQa'.  Good flexibility in recasting (yes I know
charghwI' suggested the route, but being willing to see that the same
idea can be expressed in quite a different way is a big step to
speaking Klingon.  Suggestions:

You seem to be using smart quotes or some other kind of tick for the
glottal stop. What you did is perfectly readable, heck I could read
it if you used happy faces, but it looks like unnecessary
effort for you.  The apostrophe (') is the usual symbol.

{chech} is "be drunk"
{chegh} is "return"

for
{ghu' vItIvbe' vaj ...}
"I don't enjoy the situation, thus ..."

consider also
{ghu' vItIvbe'mo' ...}
"Because I don't enjoy the situation ...}

> I feel like shortening this to:
> jI'uH vItIvbe' vaj jIcheghchoH vIneHbe'.

Making a verb the object of {neH} worked in your first sentence
because {neH} is a special case.  For any other verb if you want a
sentence to be an object, you need to use {'e'}, the sentence as
object construction in chapter 6. ... I'm losing it.  Either section
6.2.5 or 6.3.  The other one is on 'to be' constructions and is just
as interesting, so I never feel bad about giving vague section