tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 22 21:41:39 1998

Re: introduction

<< in X-SAMPA, {K} represents a lateral fricative.  Check
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/x-sampa.htm
to see what I'm talking about.   >>

cholughmoHmo' qatlho'.  jabbI'IDwIj vIqonpa' 'ej vIlabpa', *Web page*
Dangu'ta'bogh vInuDnISba'ta'.
Thank you for correcting me.  Obviously I should have examined the Web page
you had identified before I composed and sent my message.

<< ... in IPA a lateral fricative is represented with a belted l.  The
 affricate has no symbol of its own; that's why I needed to write the t and
 the tie-sign to bind them together.  The lambda (crossed for affricate,
 uncrossed for fricative) is used by American linguists, not IPA.  >>

bIlugh; jabbI'IDwIjDaq  *America*ngan Holtejpu' lo' vIDel.
You're right; in my message I described American linguists' usage.

pImqu' *IPA* lo' *America*ngan lo' je 'e' vIbuSHa'.
I didn't focus on how different that is from IPA usage.

'ach lo'vamDaq *affricate* 'oS *lambda*; pe'bogh DoD ghajchugh, ghogh Hutlh;
pe'bogh DoD Hutlhchugh, ghogh ghaj.
Nevertheless, in this usage, a lambda represents an affricate;  if it has a
crossbar, it's voiceless; if it has no crossbar, it's voiced.

(for a couple of examples, see:
H. A. Gleason, An Introduction to Descriptive Linguistics, Holt, Rinehart,
Winston, New York, 1961, page 252;
and E. A. Nida, Morphology, The University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, 1963,
page 329)

qaStaHvIS wa' puq poH choHpu''a' lo'vam? choHpu'chugh, mumer ngoDvetlh.
Has this usage changed in one generation?  If it has, that surprises me.

--jey'el

Back to archive top level