tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 22 05:35:23 1998

Re: introduction

>From: [email protected]

>ja' ~mark:

><<
> tlh            t_K (more narrowly, t_l_K)
>  >>

>{K} 'oHbe' Degh Danejbogh'e'  'e' vIHar.
>I believe the symbol you seek is not {K}.

bIlughbe'. "{X-SAMPA} vIlo'" jIja', 'ej {X-SAMPA} lo'lu'DI', DopDaq poSbogh
*fricative* 'oS {K}.  cholughmoHpa',
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/x-sampa.htm yIlaD.

No, I was using X-SAMPA, as I said, and in X-SAMPA, {K} represents a
lateral fricative.  Check http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/x-sampa.htm
to see what I'm talking about.  It's a little counterintuitive, but like I
said, it's the system that happened to be on my screen at the time.  The
tie to the "t" shows the affrication.

>*IPA* lo'lu'DI', DopDaq poSchoHbogh *affricate* 'ej ghogh ghajbogh 'oS
>*Greece* Hol *lambda* mach.
>Using IPA, the lower-case Greek lambda represents the voiced lateral
>affricate.

bIlughbe'qa'.  *IPA* lo'lu'DI', DopDaq poSbogh *fricative* 'oS qoghHey
tuQbogh {l}.  *affricate* qellu'DI', *stop* chelnISlu', vaj {t}
vIghItlhnIS.  {lambda} lulo' *America*ngan.

No, in IPA a lateral fricative is represented with a belted l.  The
affricate has no symbol of its own; that's why I needed to write the t and
the tie-sign to bind them together.  The lambda (crossed for affricate,
uncrossed for fricative) is used by American linguists, not IPA.

>DIvI' Hol jatlhwI'pu'vaD {dl} rur Dochvetlh.
>To English speakers, that resembles {dl}.

ghogh lo'bogh 'ej DopDaq poSbogh *fricative* wIqelchugh, vaj "l-ezh" lo'
*IPA*, ("l3" rur); "K\" lo' X-SAMPA.

If you mean a *voiced* lateral fricative, IPA uses a l-ezh ligature, which
looks like an l fused with a 3; X-SAMPA uses K\, Kirschenbaum uses
"z<lat>".

>Dung 'ay' pe'bogh DoDHom ghajtaHbogh *lambda* mach wIneH.
>We want a lower-case Greek lambda with a mark through the top part.

ghobe', wIneHbe'.

No, we don't.  I was transcribing IPA, not American phonetic conventions.

>DopDaq poSchoHbogh *affricate* 'ej ghogh Hutlhbogh 'oS Deghvam.  tlhIngan
>{tlh} 'oH.
>This symbol stands for the voiceless lateral affricate.  That is Klingon
>{tlh}.

{tlh} DaDelchu', 'ach pIqaDHey DaqelDI' bIlughbe'.

Your description of {tlh} is accurate, but your understanding of the
symbols being considered and used is not.

*IPA* vIqeltaHvIS cholughmoHpa', *IPA* yISovchu'; {lambda} lo'be' IPA.  'ej
*X-SAMPA* vIqeltaHvIS cholughmoHpa', *X-SAMPA* yISovchu'.  DopDaq poSbogh
*fricative* 'oSbej "K", *X-SAMPA* lo'lu'taHvIS.

Make sure you know IPA before correcting IPA usage; IPA doesn't use a
lambda.  And make sure you know X-SAMPA before correcting X-SAMPA usage.
X-SAMPA, for whatever reason, DOES use "K" for a voiceless lateral
fricative.

~mark

Back to archive top level