tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 20 12:46:04 1998

Re: introduction

>Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 21:26:09 -0800 (PST)
>From: Alan Anderson <[email protected]>
>
>Guess what?  There *is* such a universal phonetic alphabet.  I don't know
>the ASCII representation of the International Phonetic Alphabet, but I'm
>pretty sure someone here can give the symbols for the Klingon {r} and {gh},
>and might also be able to identify the Dutch trilled and gargled "r"s.

There are a bunch of different representations of the International
Phonetic Alphabet in ASCII, and which is preferable is the subject of no
few religious wars on places like the constructed-language list.  Some URLs
to look at for various attempts are
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/home.htm,
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/x-sampa.htm,
http://www.cs.brown.edu/~dpb/ascii-ipa.html.

Okrand has said that when he was developing Klingon he used IPA to
represent its sounds, not the romanized notation we've come to know and
tolerate.  I don't know that he's ever actually given out his notation in
that form, though.

As for me, I'll try transcribing the sounds of Klingon as best I can, using
X-SAMPA for no reason other than that my web browser happens to be pointing
there.  I don't have a favorite transcription scheme.  The transcriptions
will be fairly broad, which they sort of have to be when describing a
phoneme in isolation.

Klingon		X-SAMPA

b		b
ch		t_S
D		d`
gh		G (IPA gamma)
H		x
j		d_Z
l		l
m		m
n		n
ng		N
p		p (probably p_h, really)
q		q (perhaps q_h)
Q		q_X
r		r (IPA r), sometimes 4 or r\` (I think)
S		s`
t		t (or t_h)
tlh		t_K (more narrowly, t_l_K)
v		v
w		w
y		j
'		? (glottal stop)

I don't know Dutch well enough to try transcribing the Dutch g's and r's; I
seem to recall hearing that Dutch g is in fact an IPA gamma, like Klingon
gh, but I could be mistaken.  It has also been said that no two languages
actually have "the same sound" for anything, by some definition.

~mark

Back to archive top level